Monday 25 April 2011

Wuthering Heights~

Emily Bronte wrote one of the BEST novel ever, Wuthering Heights!
Some say that this is a story of love and some others that's a story of hate! I tend to agree with the last ones!

Catherine seemingly suffers from a crisis of identity, unable to choose between nature and culture (and, by extension, Heathcliff and Edgar). Her decision to marry Edgar Linton over Heathcliff has been seen as a surrender to culture, and has implications for all the characters of Wuthering Heights, mainly Heathcliff! He suffers most of all, his heart is broken and becomes a villan during the book! But still through this all  this hate he is mad about her, he takes revenge and in the end they meet again, but not in this world...

My favorite quote from the book is:
If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees- my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath- a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly I'm Heathcliff- he's always on my mind- not as a pleasure, anymore than I am always a pleasure to myself- but as my own being''



No comments:

Post a Comment